Are you looking to give or receive help this Holiday Season? Edgemont Elementary wants to make sure our families have what they need this year. We invite you to consider filling out the attached...
Welcome Back to School!
Welcome to a new school year! We hope you all have had a wonderful summer and are ready for school to start! The teachers, front office, and administration have all been preparing to welcome you back to a wonderful year of learning.
We have updated our pick up/drop off procedures to make them more efficient for parents and safer for students. The procedures and a diagram will be included in this newsletter. Our leadership team is also creating a short movie about these new drop off/pick up procedures. Watch your emails, social media, and our school website for that movie to come soon.
If you haven’t subscribed to our school Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter, be sure you subscribe. Along with our school website, we regularly post updates and important information for Edgemont.
We are going digital this year for class assignments! On August 5 you can check PowerSchool to find out your child’s teacher for this school year. While you’re there be sure to update your address, phone number, email, and emergency contacts.
Enjoy the rest of the newsletter to find out more information about the upcoming school year. I’m looking forward to a great year!
See you soon!
Updated Drop Off and Pick Up Procedures
To help our drop off and pick up be even more efficient for you and safe for our students, we’ve updated our procedures. The drop off/pick up procedures are as follows, also check the map below:
- There will be only two lanes in the driveway. The right lane will be drop off/pick up only. The left lane will be pull-through only.
- Students can be dropped off/picked up along the sidewalk on the right hand side. They need to exit the right side of the car. If the doors are blocked on that side, the parent needs to get out of the car, open the door, and walk their child to the sidewalk.
- The pull through lane is pull through only, no parking or drop off/pick up. Cars in the pull through lane need to be moving.
- All students need to wait on the sidewalk along the school to get picked up. No students will be allowed to wait on the sidewalk on the other side of the driveway.
- Do not drop off children in the parking lot. You will need to park and walk your child across the parking lot and to the school.
- Only cars with handicap stickers or license plate will be allowed to park in the handicap parking.
Thank you for your help with keeping all of our students safe. The safety of your children is one of our top priorities at Edgemont Elementary School!
Our Kindergarten teachers are looking forward to welcoming your child into their first year at Edgemont Elementary! The State of Utah requires a pre-assessment to determine your child’s academic and emotional readiness. Your child will be tested on letter name and sound recognition and other foundational literacy and math skills. You will be notified by email when sign-ups for the 20-minute assessment are available. Parents and guardians will be asked to complete important paperwork and remain in the Kindergarten hallway while their child is being tested.
Please note the timeline and details for the first week of Kindergarten:
- Tuesday, August 13: Back to School Night
- Join the Edgemont Faculty as we open our classrooms for you to visit with teachers and familiarize yourself with the Kindergarten wing and school.
- Thursday, August 15 – Wednesday, August 21: Testing
- Students will be assessed from 8:30-3:30pm
- Wednesday, August 21: Class Placement
- Your child’s teacher will contact you via email to inform you of class placement.
- Thursday, August 22: Kindergarten Meet and Greet
- A parent/guardian may bring their Kindergartner to the assigned classroom to meet their teacher and classmates. You are welcome to bring school supplies at this time. Younger siblings are welcome.
- 11:00-12:00: AM Kindergartners
- 2:00-3:00: PM Kindergartners
- Friday, August 23: First Day of Kindergarten
- Please note the first day of Kindergarten will follow the early- release schedule
- 8:40-10:45: AM Kindergarten
- 11:25-1:30: PM Kindergarten
If you have questions, please reach out to a member of our Kindergarten team:
- Mrs. Giles – firstname.lastname@example.org Mrs. Harber – email@example.com Mrs. Smith – firstname.lastname@example.org
First grade will have early out days August 15-22 at 1:30 pm for testing. Please watch for more information in your email and on our website to sign up your child for testing. Parents need to be present during the assessment. The teacher will share the results at that time. Also, these early out days will help ease the transition from Kindergarten to 1st grade for all students, and especially for beginning French students. We look forward to meeting with you and your child.
- Monday-Thursday 8:40 am – 3:20 pm
- Friday 8:40 am – 1:30 pm
- AM Mon-Thurs 8:40 – 11:40
- PM Mon-Thurs 12:20 – 3:20
- AM Friday 8:40-10:45
- PM Friday 11:25-1:30
Lunch and Lunch Recess Schedule
- 11:00-11:30 1st Grade
- 11:20-11:50 2nd Grade
- 11:30-12:00 3rd Grade
- 11:40-12:10 4th Grade
- 11:50-12:20 5th Grade
- 12:00-12:30 6th Grade
Edgemont Students SOAR-ing to Success
This year we are excited to share our visualization of the programs we have at Edgemont. There are so many great things happenings at our school! Edgemont is an amazing place to be with two great tracks to choose from. There is the French Immersion track, where our students have the opportunity to learn in English half of their day and French the other half of the day. There is also the STEAM track, where students have the opportunity to have science, technology, engineering, and art integrated in their learning throughout the day. Most of these classrooms are also 1:1 Chrome book learning initiative classes. In addition we also have an out of this world space lab, where all of our students get to participate in “space missions” and use critical thinking skills to problem solve together. We also have excellent full time art and music teachers who work hard and go above and beyond to integrate the arts throughout all grade levels. With these graphics our goal is to share the great opportunities children have at Edgemont Elementary School. You can see that both tracks offer an excellent education for our Edgemont students.
You’ll notice these graphics hanging in our hallways and outside our school. We’ll share more about them at Back to School Night. We would like to say a huge thank you to Josh Hammari, one of our Edgemont parents, for offering his time and talents in creating these designs.
Christina Broberg and I, Amy Teemant, are excited to be the PTA Co-Presidents this year. Whether you’ve had children at the school for years, or you’re new to the school, we welcome you and look forward to a fantastic year! We have many wonderful PTA members and we thank you for your time and efforts to support our teachers, staff and students. We hope you’ll join us in PTA again and for those who haven’t joined in the past, we need you and hope you’ll consider joining Edgemont’s PTA this year. It’s a great way to support your child’s school and teacher, let your voice be heard, show your support for your child’s education, and, I can honestly say, it’s also a marvelous way to meet new friends in the community! Please consider how you can help – whether it’s volunteering in the school or from home, attending PTA meetings or even just signing up for PTA, we need your help!
You’ll want to mark your calendars for some important dates coming up. Back to School Night will be Tuesday, August 13 from 5-6:30 pm. In past years it has been an open house but this year we will be starting with a general meeting all together in the gym at 5 pm. You will get to hear from our new principal, Ms. Kartchner, hear a quick introduction of teachers and staff, and learn of PTA events coming up. Following this short meeting, you will be free to visit your child’s classroom as well as visit the PTA booths in the gym to learn how you can help and get involved. Our PTA board is excited that we are able to provide a free T-shirt to every student again this year. So don’t forget to swing by the gym to visit the PTA booths as well as to pick up your child’s T-shirts!
We will have our first PTA meeting on August 21st from 9-10 am in the conference room in the office. Please come meet the PTA board and learn about the upcoming events at the school. PTA meetings throughout the year will be the second Wednesday of each month at 9 am.
There will be a New Parent Meeting on Friday, August 23rd in the library. If you’re new to the school, join us for a munch & mingle at 8:45 am, followed by a meeting from 9-9:30 am to learn more about Edgemont!
Looking forward to working together again and meeting new faces as we begin another great year!
Christina Broberg and Amy Teemant PTA Presidents
Download PDF of our Back to School Newsletter